Sunday, February 2, 2014

Social Interactions, Social Networks, and the Color Blue


There was this joke that a friend told me in 11th grade music class.  It went among the lines like this:
Q: Why are social networks blue?
A: Because it's the same color as the sky, since people don't go outside anymore.

Although I saw the situational irony and sarcasm in that joke (along with confronting a question I've asked myself before), I also noticed the sharp social observation in the joke.

I noticed that not that many people actually walk outside now.  Yeah, high school students who are very active in extracurricular such as sports and drama can't be successful when they're glued to their phone.  However I noticed that even if teens my age are outside, they're always on their smartphone or similar device.

Well, I guess I'm going to be self-conscious about my lack of a smartphone until I get one.

Nah, I won't because I won't let the NSA wrangle out more personal data about myself than it already can right now.
_____
(Picture source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Color_icon_blue.svg)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful, clean, and free of shortened links. Any links posted with irrelevant links or links that are not easily recognized to be safe will not be accepted in any comment.