Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Thoughts on the new Surface Pro 2

It may seem stupid of me that I will post a review of the Surface Pro very soon, since the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 come out in two days.  Nevertheless, I have some very strong impressions about the new generation of Surface.

The Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 have 2 kicktand positions.

The 2-position kickstand
I think that the new 2 position kickstand is a great update.  It allows users to view the screen of the Surface from different and more angles.  I would say that it is great because I tend to hunch down to use my Surface Pro because the screen is so low.  In the rare chance that I do get a Surface Pro 2 with 512 GB of solid state memory, I will surely appreciate the stand because it will allow me to use the Surface with more comfort.  I tend to bend down to look at the screen when I place my Surface Pro on a low desk or on a soft place like a sofa or bed.

Improvements for the Type Cover 2
I was thinking that the uniform black color scheme of the Surface Pro and Type Cover was a bit bland.  I'm glad that now the Type Cover 2 comes in blue, pink, and purple as well.
The Type Cover 2 for Surface comes in 4 colors.

Also, I'm very happy to hear that the Type Cover 2 is backlit.  It was very hard to know if the caps lock was turned on or not until the new keyboard comes with a lighted caps lock key.  I think the backlit keys make the Type Cover conform with a standard that is almost universal with laptop keyboards.

The Power Cover for Surface will add to the Surface's battery power.

The power cover will be very nice because it will add much-needed battery life to the Surface Pro 2.  It'll need all the battery juice the Surface Pro 2 needs.

However... some disappointments as well
I'm kind of disappointed in Microsoft that the much needed Docking Station for Surface and the Power Cover will be released next year.  I feel that those product releases weren't planned well.  Anyways, the Surface Pro only debuted just barely a year ago in January 2013... so I'm not that surprised anyways.  Still, the Power Cover and Docking Station should've been released along with the Surface Pro 2.

The Docking Station for Surface has many ports, including USB 2.0, USB 3.0, ethernet port, audio, and mini DisplayPort.

_____
Picture sources (in order of appearance):
1)  http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/slideshows/tech-life/top-features-of-microsofts-surface-pro-2-tablet/built-in-kickstand/slideshow/22992526.cms
2)  http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/23/4761840/microsoft-announces-surface-type-cover
3)  http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Type-Cover-2/productID.286867100
4)  http://amanz.my/2013/09/microsoft-memperkenalkan-surface-pro-2-secara-rasmi/
5)  http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/23/microsoft-surface-pro-2-tablet-officially-announced

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments respectful, clean, and free of shortened links. Any links posted with irrelevant links or links that are not easily recognized to be safe will not be accepted in any comment.